IN THE BEGINNING
An Opening Scene Workshop
If you've ever struggled to get the beginning of your story just right...
Then this workshop is for you.
Opening scenes carry a lot of weight in our stories overall. They need to grip the reader’s attention, enticing them to experience the adventure that follows, but they also have the ability to make or break your entire book. Think about it--your story's opening scene must:
- Hook the reader
- Pique their curiosity
- Introduce setting, character, conflict, tone
- Introduce questions that will keep the reader turning the page looking for answers
It's no wonder they're such a challenge! But...the good news is, you're not alone.
IN THE BEGINNING is a workshop that focuses on getting opening scenes just right. When you submit your first chapter (up to 2,500 words), one of three professional editors and published authors will assess it and provide feedback and suggestions.
What you will receive:
- Style sheet
- Full report with feedback and suggestions
- 24/7 access to us via the private Facebook group
Elements assessed include:
- Consistency (tone, style, voice, word choices, POV).
- Character Development--Is the character introduced effectively in the first chapter? Is there a connection with the reader?
- The effectiveness of the hook--Do the first pages entice the reader to turn the page?
- Written overview of the strengths and potential challenges of the first chapter.
- Is the story's premise (promise) hinted at?
- Structural assessment.
Ready to get started? Just fill out the form below to reserve your spot today!
Submissions close July 20, 2017.
Cost: $25 (up to 2,500 words)
PLEASE NOTE: Erotica submissions not accepted.